The basics of my setup (2) - paper


Nothing unusual here. For work, I occasionally use Rhodia A4 pads, but I largely rely on Mnemosyne spiral-bound notebooks number 194, ruled, in the B5 size. The paper is 80g/sqm, smooth but not Rhodia-slippery. No bleed, spread or ghosting, but it's fair to say inks don't completely 'pop' either. Spiral bound so it lays flat both with one page face-up or a two-page spread, and I find B5 a large enough canvas on which to build an argument, without the unwieldiness of A4. The ruling is 7mm, which is probably ever so slightly too narrow for me, and the paper is a touch further off white than I'd like, but I haven't found anything better as an all-round package. I've searched it out from smaller distributors but, here in the UK at least, it's been hard to beat Amazon for price or availability.


For more personal jottings, I've fallen in love with GLP The Author notebooks. Slightly smaller than A5, leatherette covers in various sober shades, with fully 192 pages of 68g/sqm Tomoe River inside, all held closed with an elastic cover. Nothing beats Tomoe River for showing ink off at its best, and I find the 68g paper is less susceptible to spread than the thinner 52g paper. I believe Tomoe River is becoming more difficult to source, so snap these up while you can.


Finally, I do still occasionally use my passport-sized Traveller's notebook - but who's doing any travelling these days, so I don't really have a great use case for it at the moment. It's usually filled with a 001 lined notebook and a 005 blank one, together with a large supply of Exacompta index cards, which I go through like water.




Comments

Popular Posts